Friday, March 13, 2015

Larry's Reflections on Module 3

Module 3: Web 2.0 Technologies for DE (Week's 3-4)

During the past two weeks I've come to appreciate the user-friendliness and accessibility of various Web 2.0 technologies offered up by Google.  Not only is this blog being hosted by Google Blogger; but, I have an ePortfolio hosted on Google Sites and have been using Google Docs to collaborate on a spreadsheet project in another course.  Each of these Web 2.0 technologies were surprisingly intuitive and offered relatively easy to understand help functions within their site menus.  Admittedly, there was some trial and error involved with each; however, I was able to meet objective requirements without too many problems.

Until enrolling in OMDE 601 & 603 this semester, the extent of my social networking ability rested primarily within FaceBook.  While I do have accounts in LinkedIn, Instagram, and Snapchat I've rarely used these applications to communicate with others.  Additionally, my OMDE 601 course has introduced me to another Web 2.0 technology, Twitter, and I am learning how to use this application along with the others mentioned above.

As I work through learning how to function within all of these Web 2.0 technologies, I find myself understanding how easy it could be for these technologies to transform from a helpful educational tool to a distraction to effective learning.  While I find the "exposure" to each them quite interesting, I am also a bit overwhelmed with having to bounce in-between the applications in order to meet course objectives.  In other words, I feel like the technology has taken over as a result of "over exposure".

While I have chosen to use the various Web 2.0 technologies offered by Google, the available options and providers are seemingly endless.  Course designers and developers must be cautious when integrating Web 2.0 technologies into course curriculum to ensure they serve a useful purpose for effective learning.

In closing this blog post, I offer the following short scholarly article by Gabriella Grosseck published for the 2009 World Conference on Educational Sciences:


To use or not to use web 2.0 in higher education?

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877042809000895

No comments:

Post a Comment